I'm sorry I don't have more images available, unfortunately in progress shots were an after thought. My next pieces tend to have more images.
For this piece I spent a lot of time before I even started the sculpture looking for found objects to use. I searched thrift stores mostly and a few online ads. I also had the model come in so I could measure her proportions and take pictures of her all the way around, getting a number of different angled shots.
THE CERAMIC MODELING:
I began by working with a model to get the pose I wanted. I measured her proportions and worked with the photographs until the basic form was complete, then I worked with the model in person for about 9 hours to make sure I got a full expression. The bust shoulders up was constructed separately from the base and was attached later after both pieces had become leather hard.
The head and shoulders were solid built using a pipe armature for support. After it was modeled the piece was cut in half along the pipe armature. The two head pieces had to be cut off the shoulders section because of weight. I then hollowed all of the pieces and let them stiffen. When they were ready I attached the head pieces and shoulder pieces together and let them harden. after both the head and shoulders were well attached I attached the head back to the shoulders.
This part of the process was rather difficult and required lot of darting and adjusting to get the connection just right. The head required a support under the chin for a while until the moisture evened out and the clay became stiff. I added some inside clay walls under the shoulders to add extra support for the head. At this point, I worked with the model in person for a bit to get the head, face, and shoulders right.
After it was fired I went back and filled a few small cracks with epoxy sculpt and sanded a few small imperfections. Then I painted the piece with black latex paint that included the primer. The primer is important or the paint will just peal off. You should still be careful not to mar the piece with this paint though.
Before I began construction used tape and newspaper to attach the pieces and get an idea of the shape and form of the headdress. I had so many different materials to use it was necessary to see how it would all come together.
To construct the headdress I epoxied a wire under structure to the top head, making sure no paint was in those areas. I then sewed black canvas onto the wire structure. From this armature of sorts, I sewed on the feathers, scrap metal and jewelry, and found objects. After they were attached I used clear epoxy to fix certain things in place such as feathers and extra found objects. I then added a black wash of latex paint to all the found objects to make the piece aged. After that I used black roofing cement which is a tar-like substance to add the texture to the piece and to attach the smaller feathers, also using turpentine in certain spots to remove excess material. Finally after a few touch ups to the paint and headpiece, the piece was finished.